Monday, May 31, 2010

Take my advice

Since running my first 12k race I've decided to post some helpful tips as well as dispel some false training "necessities".

They say: Don't eat certain foods the night before the race (excessive amounts of dairy, candy, or certain kinds of meat).
I say: Eat whatever you want! Ice cream, puppy chow, you name it, I say eat it.

They say: Wear minimal clothing so you don't chafe or are uncomfortable.
I say: Sure, you don't want to wear your favorite Christmas sweater for the race, but you also don't want to be that 60-year-old man wearing booty shorts or that 45-year-old woman wearing a sports bra without a T-shirt. Be comfortable and practical, but don't cause people to cringe when they look your way.

They say: hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
I say: Yes, you don't want to keel over from dehydration, but you also don't want to have to use a porta potty 2 miles into the race (or ever, if necessary).

They say: Nature's "music" is what fuels the runner.
I say: Birds chirping and grass swaying sounds good, but Modest Mouse sounds better.

They say: This is your time to shine, so look your best.
I say: You're not trying to find your soul mate or win a beauty pageant. As long as you wear some sunblock you're good to go.



No comments:

Post a Comment