Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Thanks for the tip, mom

I could have died today. And yes no, I’m not being melodramatic.

Let me start from the beginning. I was driving into work this morning, daydreaming about what I would eat for lunch writing a really sophisticated story today, when suddenly I heard my cell phone ringing. It was nearly 8 a.m., so I was pretty sure I had won the lottery…or my mom was calling me for some reason.

It wasn’t the lottery (clearly, because you would have heard a cry of joy resound across the region). It was my mother, which still could be considered "winning the lottery" by having the best mom ever, right? [insert cheesy “Awww”]

As soon as I answered the phone I heard my mom’s excited voice exclaim, “Where are you? Do you want a tip for a juicy story?!?!?” Um, yes please.

Apparently there was an armed man suspected of robbery roaming the immediate area of my parents’ business [Gruber Pallets Inc, where all your pallet needs are met]. Several squad cars arrived at my parents’ business, jumped out of their vehicles donning bulletproof vests and rifle-like machinery in hand (according to an anonymous source) and surrounded the building. GPI had to go under lockdown while officers searched the area.

I arrived at the Gazette and briefed my editor on the situation. I figured I’d probably make some calls to find out more information, but nay, my editor instructed me to grab the camera and head over to the scene where a potential gun-toting madman was hiding out. Let’s just say I was pretty excited.

As I grabbed my camera and notepad I had visions of me speeding (yet safely) to the action scene. The wind was howling as I drove past empty fields and a Holiday gas station. I was mentally preparing myself to blend in with my surroundings (which would consist of woods and open fields). Then I was kicking myself for not ever taking any self-defense classes, but what can you do. I knew I was a scrappy fighter and would use the resources around me (e.g. my high-healed ruffley shoe).

I also began reviewing potential moves like rolling on the ground and climbing trees to outsmart the suspect. None of that was ever necessary, but it doesn’t hurt to mentally prepare yourself for any scenario.

All ended well, pretty much anyways. I interviewed the commander of the local Sheriff’s Office. The suspect is still on the loose, but I’ll leave that to the local authorities (until they call begging me for my stellar investigative skills). I also got to “interview” the owners of GPI (a.k.a. mom and dad) while they excitedly recounted probably their biggest “adventure” ever in the past 20 years.

And when it’s all said and done, you’ve got to feel like an accomplished reporter when you receive this sort of breaking news tip from your mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment